Mini Potato Cupcakes
I had invited my family over the other day for dinner and used five pounds of red potatoes to make the mashed potatoes. I had a little left over the next day and wanted to use them for something. Those potatoes were good! They were skin-on, mashed, garlic, red potatoes. Those were NOT going to waste even if I had to eat them all myself, and that could realistically happen (I like carbs). I decided to turn them into bite-sized mini potato cupcakes. We call them paddy cakes. They are super easy and use the food you probably already have in the refrigerator.
Apply the sour cream in a decorative manner isn’t terribly complicated. I used a piping bag and a large tip, but if you don’t have that handy try putting the sour cream in a zip baggy and trimming one of the corners with scissors to create your own piping bag. I was afraid at first that would be an overload of sour cream, but it wasn’t. The amount shown in the main picture is perfect. To add a bit of contrast in color, I sprinkled green onions on top. Chives on top would match the petite stature of these mini patty cupcakes too.
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely sliced chives
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, bacon, cheese, and egg.
- Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Generously spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Scoop out the potato mixture and press into the muffin pan, making sure to fill the holes and flatten the top.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until the paddy cupcake tops are golden brown.
- While the paddy cake is cooling, prepare your sour cream. For a decorator’s touch, place the sour cream in an icing piping bag with a tip.
- Decorate the muffin top as you would a cupcake with the sour cream. Sprinkle chives on top.
Despite how awesome I might appear online, mistakes happen. If you happen to spot one on this recipe, save your fellow cooks a disaster and let me know by using the contact form.