Being a family of Irish decent...there are potatoes involved in everything, even our cupcakes. I had invited my family over the other day for dinner and used five pounds of red potatoes to make the mashed potatoes. I had a little left over the next day and wanted to use them for something. Those potatoes were good! They were skin-on, mashed, garlic, red potatoes. Those were NOT going to waste even if I had to eat them all myself, and that could realistically happen (I like food). I decided to turn them into bite-size mini potato cupcakes. We call them paddy cakes. They are super easy and use food you probably already have in the refrigerator.
I love to decorate cakes. While I have a ton of supplies, you don’t need much to apply the sour cream in a decorative manner. I used a piping bag and a large tip, but if you don’t have that handy try putting the sour cream in a zip baggy and trimming one of the corners with scissors to create your own piping bag. I was afraid at first that would be an overload of sour cream, but it wasn’t. The amount shown in the picture was perfect. To add a bit of contrast in color, and a ton of flavor, I sprinkled green onions on top since that is what I had on hand, but chives on top would match the petite stature of these mini patty cupcakes.
Otherwise, you will have to turn the heat down and cook them longer to get them crispy all the way through. Guess what I’ll be making for St. Patrick’s day ...and at the next BBQ?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, bacon, cheese, and egg.
- Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Generously spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Scoop out the potato mixture and press into the muffin pan, making sure to fill the holes and flatten the top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until the paddy cupcake tops are golden brown.
- While the paddy cake is cooling, prepare your sour cream. For a decorator’s touch, place the sour cream in an icing piping bag with a tip.
- Decorate the muffin top as you would a cupcake with the sour cream. Sprinkle chives on top.
- Munch a bunch.
Check out these other recipes